an under-rated celebration.
At least in cities where I hardly feel the atmosphere of a celebration of light overcoming darkness. Where's all the music and fanfare?! But then I suppose the same could be said of Chinese New Year (where's all the fire crackers?!) and I say this only because on the occassions I've been blessed enough to be invited to Deepavali-celebrating homes, I observed that there would be a constant in the form of a Tamil or Hindi movie playing in the background while everyone is really too busy socialising and/or catching up. Kinda reminded me of CNY and the traditional old Stephen Chow or Kung Fu movies. Same concept. Heh heh.
Then, it's hardly talked about because it only gets one day holiday! How can?! Only one day off to celebrate all the delicious food-ekhem.
a delicious celebration.
As somewhat mentioned earlier, Deepavali serves up some of the best food of all celebrations in my personal opinion. (All you people who wish to beg to differ may now start sending me invites to come to your open houses) After a dry few years of non-eventful Deepavalis, I got sub-invited to not one but two open houses courtesy of bi's family. (In other words, I'm a shameless tagalong. nyeheheh) And boy were the hosts gracious with their food.. *_* Ahh..the spices, the bursts of flavour. I like~
an artful celebration.
Does one know how much work and precision it takes to make a kolam, that colorful rice art done in most shopping malls every Deepavali season? Plus all the decorations and lit lamps.
All in all, I'm glad I didn't miss out on this year's festivities (yes, and food.) it is indeed something special to be celebrating another cultural celebration, surrounded by open-minded people so willing to share home and culture, at least for awhile. :)


|